Activity 23: Use of educational data
- As a starting point for your investigation into the use of big datasets outside education, read at least two of the online stories listed below:
- Duhigg, (2012), How companies learn your secrets
- Netflix (2009), The Netflix prize rules
- Mangalindan (2012), Amazon’s recommendation secret.
- Now extend your reading by searching for “big data” (if you use Google, double inverted commas will show that you are looking for the phrase and not two separate words) and the name of a large company that you use regularly, such as Google, Facebook or Starbucks.
- In each case, note as many reasons as you can for the use of big data. Also note who benefits from its use in each case and what the benefits are.
- Write a blog post, or an entry in your learning journal, about your positive and negative reactions to the use of your data in these ways.
- Post your reactions, or a link to your blog post, in the discussion forum and read other people’s reactions.